ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be
* Works with customers, sales representatives, service
representatives and quality technicians to gather information and
data useful for design improvements.
* Develops project timeline and costing and periodically reviews
with leadership and/or cross-functional work teams.
* Designs/re-designs products to meet or exceed market needs.
Work to include B.O.M., manufacturing formulas, design
specifications/tolerances, and parts/fabrication drawings.
* Works with vendors in the development of designs, particularly
extrusion die designs.
* Approves and submits designs of new and existing dies, vendor
dies and purchased parts.
* Facilitates design review sessions and communicates project
status to supervisor, co-workers and management.
* Coordinates product testing (in-house and formal lab tests),
including obtaining sample parts, building prototypes, scheduling
tests and communicating results.
* Communicates fabrication requirements to Tooling and Process
Engineering staff for tool design, plant layout and process
* Leads production pilot of new or reconfigured product designs
with assistance from Manufacturing, Quality and Process Engineering
Departments. Assists Manufacturing Department, as needed, during
full production start-up.
* Provides technical support to customers via phone, e-mail,
occasional field calls and job specific certifications.
* Approves or rejects temporary deviations and Engineering
Change Orders (ECOs) and updates B.O.M. and drawings
* Provides technical support to Manufacturing Department and
aids in root cause analysis of build problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or two years
experience in fenestration design
* Drafting ability to clearly develop ideas in the form of
* Auto CAD proficiency preferred
* Ability to perform comparative analysis to qualify product
* Ability to read and understand building codes
* Must gain familiarity with manufacturing processes, material
selection and product testing procedures
LANGUAGE / COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Must write clearly and concisely
* Must use courtesy and tact with internal and external
* Proficient in algebra, geometry and trigonometry
* Ability to establish priorities, plan, document and
* Must be able to assess complex situations and make appropriate
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
* None required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
* Minimal physical demands, such as occasional bending, stooping
* Generally work in air-conditioned, smoke-free office
* Must occasionally work in un-air-conditioned plant
Ability to travel occasionally domestically
More frequent travel to CGI and WinDoor facilities may be
necessary during key projects.
Occasional: activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequent: activity exists 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.